Wednesday 1 June 2011

My Test Paintings

I bought new brushes, which I am in love with as they're the nicest brushes I've ever had. They're not fancy or anything, but just a nice Reeves set. I haven't bought any mounted boards yet as I thought I'd just buy some flat boards to have a go on and get back into the swing of painting, if you can actually do that. I started off with an area that I was comfortable with, abstract colour with no definitive object... Easy, I know, but I enjoy it and creating effects with the paint and molding paste that I have purchased (another of my favourite mediums!). So my first attempt was this...


Ignem Ardentem

Thought I'd give it a Latin, because it would be cooler, plus I'm learning a lot of Latin on my course, as everything to do with body is in Latin and if you speak to another Doctor in normal English they'll think you're an imbecile, so there you go, it means "the fire burning" but then again, my mother said it looked an endoscopy, which wasn't the look I was going for! 

So for the next try I had a go at something medical related, so as you can probably tell what it is from looking at it, I'm not going to patronise you by telling you what it is... unless it really isn't obvious, then if so, let me know and I'll say! 


Idque Vitae

Aptly named "the fluid of life", this is I suppose is one of the greatest achievements of evolution and mammalian life itself. Let me know what you think and any pointers would be greatly appreciated. 

2 comments:

  1. I see you've made two new paintings! :D And the red cells look cool, definitely what I was imagining when you mentioned the idea.

    As for tips/crit's: your composition is very good. It really depends if you're going for a particular style (clean, clinical or messy and textured- not limited to of course) but if you are going for something realistic and/or graphical, I'd suggest trying your hand at blending the highlights a bit more. If however you are going for something more abstract- you have all the freedom you want.
    No matter what, always experiment with colours (don't just stick to the colours you think a subject should be etc):D I'll have to make a sort of shading tutorial I would love to show you- it's a theory I learned from another tutorial, but I want to try my hand at it xD

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was going for abstract, but would love to be able to get it as realistic as possible in another painting. I did try to experiment with colour a little with the RBC's (red blood cell) but was only brave enough to make one of them blue in the bottom corner!

    I love making texture with the molding paste, it really brings the picture to life I think. One of the red blood cells is raised, I tried to make it as 3D as I could, but I don't know if the desired effect has actually worked... you'd have to see it in real life I suppose.

    Even though my whole aim was painting medical images, I like the first one a lot more. But I'll see how the other medical paintings go first.

    As for the shading tutorial I would love to see it! That was one of the things I really struggled on in the RBC painting.

    ReplyDelete